Monday, May 25, 2015

Bike Focused Week (May 18-24)

Not the week I was hoping for.  I was hoping to hit over 200 miles on the bike but between the weather and a TUV audit at work it was a real challenge to get out on the bike.  Due to the audit at work I needed my car to drive files between the sites my company has in Louisville so riding my bike to work was out, the weather was shit anyways most of those days and I ended up in the gym at lunch.  I was able to make up some of it over the weekend with long rides on both Saturday and Sunday up in the hills.  Saturday was a bunch of laps on Lookout Mountain with Ray which got me 52 miles with 6700 feet of gain.  Sunday was the Lariat Loop with a side of Genesee Mountain, this netted me 43 miles with 4500 feet of gain.  So 95 miles and 11,200 feet of gain on the MTB in 2 days.  Not bad. 

Speaking of the gym I spent too much time in the gym this week lifting hard.  Not the best idea the week after a marathon PR.  Pretty sore and wore out all week.  Live and learn.

Snap shot of the week.  (Click to Enlarge)


This goes into the next week report but extremely pleased with my Bolder Boulder 10k time this morning, ended with a 38:07 which is also a PR at the 10K distance for me.  So in May I have PRed at Greenland course, my overall marathon time, and my overall 10K time.  This worries me, am I peaking to soon?  Or should I keep doing what I am doing?  Or should I push even harder?  I feel slow and tired but keep PR'ing. Not sure what to do here.  25 days to the Leadville Marathon and the start of Leadman.  Still have the Dirty Thirty next weekend too which will be most of my running miles for the week I think. This week a Balanced Focused week which is always challenging to do.


After the Bolder Boulder went and did the Crossfit workout Murph.  What is Murph you ask?  Here is the low down:
-----------------------------
"Murph"
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
------------------------------
Yes this is what the movie Lone Survivor is based on. This sucked doing 2 hours after finishing the Bolder Boulder.  Came in at 39:42 which is actually a good time and really surprised myself.  The funny part is I thought the pullups would be the issue but it was the pushups that took all my time.  The pullups you could work through in sets of 2 and it was not bad but the pushups killed the arms.  Looking forward to doing this every Memorial Day.

Have a great week everyone!

7 comments:

  1. You are crushing it, Shad. Sure seems like a keep-doing-what-you're-doing situation to me. Strong work, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude, I really think taking 20-30 miles less running per week and adding in the bike and weights is making a HUGE difference. Yes I am tired from the training but the joints don't hurt getting out of bed every morning nearly as much.

      Delete
    2. Nice month - 80 hours! Geez. You'd think you are a pro or something.

      Delete
    3. And by the way - I don't want to hear any more crap about "some folks have a real job" when you are putting that sort of time number up.

      Delete
    4. Putting in the work, we will see how it pays off. I have never put in this much time for any of my 100s so it will be interesting to see if the increased overall work will pan out even though my overall running mileage is down.

      Delete
    5. You know I am just jealous because I could not get over there mid day to run with you guys.

      Delete
    6. It was shitty weather anyway.

      Delete